Originally, the Town Gate « France » was the gate for trading, mainly with Switzerland. The lower part dates back to 1330, and in the course of history, this gate has gone through a few changes. The Gate "France" successively bears the coat of arms of the Holy German Empire, of Louis XIV and was flanked with turrets in 1871, which were removed in 1912.
Originally, the Town Gate "France" was equipped with a drawbridge, a portcullis and of course two doors that were closed at night and during mass on Sundays.
Built in the 14th century, the Town Gate « Munster » bears witness to the history of witchcraft : it is through that gate that the tortured witches were lead to a place named La Wann where they were burnt. Yet its windows decorated with scallops suggest a less murderous role : a stopover on the way to the St-Jacques-de-Compostelle pilgrimage.
The Town Gate "Munster" was also supposed to warn people of thunderstorms, as is shown by its still intact bell in the small belltower.
Originally, « Laube » (covered market), then « Herrenstube » (Townhall), the guardhouse was assigned to the guilds in 1575 who turned it into their "household". The history of the Guardhouse is eventful : it was used as an assembly-room and a "household", i.e. cooking ustensils and crockery, useful for the guilds' lives were stored there, but also objects for processions. Then it was turned into housing, then into a girls' school, the ground floor was even used as a butcher's stall. In 1970, it became the police station. An imperial eagle decorates the gable wall and the bell in the tower dates back to 1658.
Already mentioned in the townhall's rules in 1667, a fountain stands right in front of the guardhouse : it was forbidden to do washing and let animals drink. With a statue of Mary the Virgin with Child at the top, this fountain from the 18th century is the only water supply fed by a spring.
Built in the 17th century style, the townhall used to be the court of justice of the former imperial city. The cowshed and adjoining buildings were destroyed around 1860, the ground floor was long used as a ballroom ! When it was renovated, two Gothic walls and a Roman wall were discovered.
The former banister made of wrought iron was replaced by a balustrade made of sandstone from the Rouffach quarry.